Burghley, the life of William Cecil, Lord Burghley, Lord High Treasuer of England, etc. : biographical notices of his successors the Earls and Marquises of Exeter : a description of Burghley House, with a complete and accurate guide to the several paintings, tapestries, antiquities, and other articles of interest and vertu with which it is enriched : and a brief notice of the family monuments, &c., in St. Martin's Church, Stamford Baron : to which is appended a list of the artists by whom the collection of picures in the above residence was painted, with the places where they were born, and the dates of their births and deaths / by the Rev. W.H. Charlton, M.A., rector of St. George's, Stamford, and domestic chaplain to the Marquis of Exeter.
- Stamford [England] : Published by and for W. Langley, High-Street, 1847.
Stamford : Samuel Sharp, High-Street, 
- Physical Description:
- xxi, , 319,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA358.B9 C43 1847 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA358.B9 C43 1847 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Mezzotint portrait of William Cecil engraved by H.T. Ryall. Portrait of Brownlow, Second Marquis of Exeter engraved by Charles W. Wass; after a portrait Martin Archer Shee. Portrait of Isabella, Marchioness of Exeter engraved by Charles W. Wass; after a portrait by Sir Thomas Lawrence. Plans of Burghley House by Clubb & Son; after E. Browning. Engraving of St. Martins Church, Stamford by Rock & Co., London.
List of subscribers: p. (iii)-xiv.
Names of the artists by who the collection of pictures in Burghley House was painted, with the places where they were born, and the times of their births and deaths: p. -319.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary maroon publisher's cloth.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in later red cloth. Armorial device of Cecil family stamped in gilt on leather label affixed to front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists -- DictionariesBurghley House (Stamford, England) -- Guidebooks.Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, 1520-1598 -- Art collection.Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, 1520-1598 -- Biography.Burghley, William Cecil, Baron, 1520-1598 -- Portait.Cecil family.Sharp, Samuel. -- Printer.
- Mezzotints -- 1847.
Steel engravings -- 1847.
Subscription lists (Publishing)
Armorial bindings (Provenance)
Armorial bindings (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
Charlton, William Henry, 1814-, Burghley, the life of William Cecil, Lord Burghley, Lord High Treasuer of England, etc. , 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.