A topographical dictionary of England : comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships, and the islands of Guernsey, Jersey, and Man, with historical and statistical descriptions : illustrated by maps of the different counties and islands : a map of England shewing the principal towns, roads, railways, navigable rivers, and canals : and a plan of London and its environs : and embellished with engravings of the arms of the cities, bishoprics, universities, colleges, corporate towns, and boroughs : and of the seals of the several municipal corporations / by Samuel Lewis.
- London : Published by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Aldersgate Street, 1831.
[Andover] : Printed by Bentley, 
- Physical Description:
- 4 volumes ; 32 cm and 1 atlas ( leaves of plates) : maps ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625 .L48+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The atlas comprises 43 maps, engraved by J. & C. Walker and Thomas Starling; after R. Creighton.
Text printed in two columns.
Chubb, T. Printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland, CCCCXXX
List of subscribers: volume 1, page xvii-lxviii.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later brown half morocco and brown cloth. Armorial bookplate: Frederick J.O. Montagu. Lacks original atlast; has, instead, atlas of later issue, with maps of England and Wales (cataloged separately: DA625 .L48a+).
- Subject Terms:
- Bentley -- Printer.Great Britain -- Gazetteers.Great Britain -- History, Local -- Dictionaries.Montagu, Frederick J. O. -- Bookplate.Names, Geographical -- Great Britain.
- Engravings -- 1831.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1831.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- V. 1. Abb-Cwm
- v. 2. Dac-Kyr
- v. 3. Lac-Ryt
- v. 4. Sab-Zen