Graphic scenes in the Japan Expedition, / by William Heine, artist of the expedition. ; Comprising ten plates and an illustrated title-page, printed in colors and tints by Sarony & Co. ; List of plates. ...
- New York: : G.P. Putnam & Company, 321 Broadway., 1856.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves, 10 leaves of plates : ill., 1 port. ; 53 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAmVa 1028Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN 1995 Folio 25: Deluxe issue in original portfolio of Bristol board. Stamp: "E.v.d. Heydt No."
Added illustrated title page: Graphic scenes of the Japan Expedition by Wm. Heine ... Executed in colours & tints by Sarony & Co. comprising 10 plates with a descriptive letter press. ... Price $6. Extra fine edition on Bristol boards in port folio $12. ...
Dedicated to Commodore M.C. Perry, U.S.N.
Introduction signed: F.L. Hawks.
Final leaf blank.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Original printed wrappers (text). Plate, color plates (9). 20 1/8 inches x 14 3/4 inches on Bristol board. Original brown cloth portfolio mounting part of original cover, ht: 20 1/2 inches (black cloth label: GRAPHIC SCENES IN THE JAPAN EXPEDITION, BY WM. HEINE). In pink-brown box-case, ht: 22 inches (black leather label: JAPAN EXPEDITION/HEINE/NEW YORK 1856).
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Pictorial works.Heydt, Eduard von der, b. 1882 -- Stamp.Japan -- Pictorial works.Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858 -- Portraits.Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858.United States Naval Expedition to Japan (1852-1854)
- 1. Portrait of Commodore M.C. Perry [from a daguerreotype by P. Haas]
- 2. Macao from Penha Hill
- 3. Pagoda of Whampoa
- 4. Old China street in Canton
- 5. Kung-twa, at On-na, Lew Chew
- 6. Mia, or road-side chapel, at Yoku-hama
- 7. Temple at Ben-teng, in the harbor of Simoda
- 8. Street and bridge at Simoda
- 9. Temple of Ha-tshu-man-ya Tschu-ro, at Simoda
- 10. Grave-yard at the Simoda, Dio Zenge.