Paradise lost : a poem / by John Milton ; the text of the first edition prepared for press by J. Isaacs.
- London : Printed at the Golden Cockerel Press, MCMCCCVII 
- Physical Description:
- , 378,  pages : illustrations ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3560 .I83 1937+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title page printed in black and red.
"The Golden Cockerel edition of Paradise Lost has been designed and printed by Christopher and Anthony Sandford, Francis Newbery, and Owen Rutter. Work was begun on the 22nd January, 1935 and finished on the eve of the coronation of King George the Sixth and Queen Elizabeth of England on the 12th May, 1937. All the titling and the type used belong to the Golden Cockerel fount designed for the Press by Eric Gill and cut by Caslon, the poem being in the 18-point size, and the Note on the verse and the Argument in the 14-point size. All the type has been set by A.H. Gibbs, assisted by H. Batchelor, and the press worked by H. Barker. The lamb-vellums were prepared by Band. The Batchelor paper was hand-made from pure linen rag with an appropriate Tree & Serpent watermark. The engravings are by Mary Groom. The binding is by Zaehnsdorf. The cloth sides were hand-marbled by Sydney Cockerell. The edition is limited to 200 numbered copies: numbers 1-4 printed on the vellum and numbers 5-200 on the paper. God Save the King!"--Colophon.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 119
BEIN 1996 +16: No. 114. Binder's stamp: Zaehnsdorf, London, England. In case (as issued?).
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 56 of 200. Bound by Zaehnsdorf in black half pigskin with marlbed cloth boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Adam (Biblical figure) -- Poetry.Adam (Biblical figure) -- Poetry.Bible. O.T. Genesis -- History of Biblical events -- Poetry.Eve (Biblical figure) -- Poetry.Fall of man -- Poetry.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Binders' stamps (Binding) -- Zaehnsdorf.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.