Liver & lights.
- Additional Title(s):
Liver and lights
Book of discarded things
When all else emanates from the surface of the skin
- London (28 Greenwich High Rd, S.E.10) : Liver & Lights, 1984-
- Physical Description:
- v. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.B45 L58Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- No. 7 has title: When all else emanates from the surface of the skin. Includes poetry from David Boyd, William Blake, St. Methodius, Chris Hill, James Blundun, and Stephen Jaques. Drawings by John Bently, Ashley Greaves, and Lucy Owen.
No. 10 has title: Ginge. Liver & light No. 10 by John Bently. Book is contained in three different covers; a painted diptych, an inlaid wooden slipcase, and a laid box containing a selection of miniature toys.
No. 14 has title: Book of discarded things. Liver & light No 14 by John Bently. The pages are bound between two plywood boards (tied together with green ties). On the front board are mounted sheet music and an unidentifable piece of embossed wood. Piece of similar page and embossed wood are glued on the backboard. Main text is a poetic commentary on the abandoned things of the world, and the illustrations are mainly fragments of discarded paper litter (including strips of cut out sheet music) with a few additional engravings.
No. 20 consists of an illustrated poem about Deptfordia, a mythical land. The text block (interleaved with tissue paper) is pasted to a board. Also pasted on the board is a papier mâché sculpture of a criminal being hung. This board is tied with cotton tape to another board, attached to which is the colophon and another folded poem.
Facing the page : British artists' books, p. 29
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Concrete poetry -- Great Britain.Liver & Lights -- Publisher.Visual literature.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.