The history of Monmouthshire / By David Williams ; illustrated and ornamented by views of its principal landscapes, ruins, and residences, by John Gardnor, Vicar of Battersea ; engraved by Mr. Gardnor and Mr. Hill.
- [London] : Printed by H. Baldwin, and sold, in London, by Edwards in Pall-Mall, Egerton at Charing-Cross, Williams in the Strand, White in Fleet-Street; and, at Monmouth, by Tudor and by Heath, MDCCXCVI 
- Physical Description:
- , xi, , 360, 199,  p., XXXVI,  leaves of plates (2 folded) : ill., map, genealogical tables ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.M7 W55 1796+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The plates are dated Dec. 14th 1793.
"One hundred and sixty-eight copies of the book were subscribed, thirty-two of them coloured."--Cf. Abbey.
With a half-title.
The appendix has separate register and pagination.
Paging irregular: no. 117-118 omitted; p. 160 (in appendix) numbered 168.
ESTC (RLIN), T78135
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 537
The final three leaves contain a list of "Names and engagements delivered to Mr. Gardnor to encourage the production of A history of Monmouthshire".
SML Bym 076: Lacks first prelim. leaf?
SML Bym 076: Bookplate of Hobart.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Lacks half-title. Bound in gilt-tooled red morocco, by Bayntun.
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, H. -- Publisher.Bayntun -- Bookbinder.Castles -- Wales -- Pictorial work -- Early works to 1800.Church architecture -- Wales -- Early works to 1800.Hobart -- Bookplate.Landscapes -- Wales -- Early works to 1800.Monmouthshire (Wales) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Monmouthshire (Wales) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Natural history -- Wales -- Early works to 1800.Tintern Abbey -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1796.
YCBA Collections Search
Williams, David, 1738-1816, The history of Monmouthshire , MDCCXCVI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.