Russian ballet / David Bomberg.
- London : The Bomb Shop, Hendersons, 1919.
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4 B64 R8 1919Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Text is a poem, one line per page, each line opposite a colored lithograph on facing page.
The booklet was a project Bomberg embarked upon in time he could spare from his work as an official war artist. The lithographs were executed on zinc plates, the original designs for them being drawings from 1914, done at a time when Bomberg was strongly influenced by Diaghilev's designs for the Ballet Russes. One hundred copies of the booklet were handprinted by Bomberg, with the covers sewn by his wife Alice. The imprint of Henderson's (a bookshop on Charing Cross Road) was probably added after Bomberg was prevented from selling the booklets himself at the Alhambra Theatre, where Diaghilev's company was performing in.
From Manet to Hockney : modern artists illustrated books : 46
David Bomberg : a critical study of his life and work : p.50-51.
BAC: British Art Center copy in original wrappers, as issued.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Ballet.Bomb Shop, Hendersons -- Publisher.Concrete poetry.Vorticism.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1919.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.