Blake, William, 1757-1827, William Blake's water-colour designs for the poems of Thomas Gray , 1972
- William Blake's water-colour designs for the poems of Thomas Gray / introduction and commentary by Geoffrey Keynes.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Water-colour designs for the poems of Thomas Gray
Designs for the poems of Thomas Gray
William Blake's designs for Gray's poems
- Boissia, Clairvaux, Jura : Trianon Press for the William Blake Trust, London ; 1972.
London : Distributed by B. Quaritch, 1972.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. : col. ill. ; 43 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2012 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Articles & Chapters
- Facsimile of a volume in possession of Paul Mellon containing 116 designs by Blake with inlaid pages from Gray's Poems, 1790. The designs were probably begun in 1797. The original volume is now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Prints and Drawings, B1992.8.11)
Title page and introductory matter at end of main work in v. 3.
"518 copies ... 12 copies numbered I to XII, in three volumes, full morocco, with an additional portfolio containing a series of progressives showing the stages in the hand-stencil colouring of a single plate, together with original guide-sheets and stencils and other material used in making the facsimile, presented in a matching box. 36 copies numbered 1 to 36, unbound in the French style, in a full morocco portfolio, with an additional portfolio containing technical material ... 352 copies numbered 37 to 388, in three volumes bound in quarter morocco or unbound in the French style in a quarter morocco portfolio ... 100 copies numbered 389 to 488 are reserved for Mr. Paul Mellon. 18 copies numbered A to R are hors commerce."--Final page of v. 3.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 416. Bound in tan quarter morocco and marbled boards. In slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Blake, William, 1757-1827.English poetry -- Illustrations.Gray, Thomas, 1716-1771 -- Illustrations.Trianon Press -- Publisher.William Black Trust -- Publisher.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1972.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.