Folio 50 : a bibliography of the Folio Society, 1947-1996 / compiled by Paul W. Nash ; with essays by Sue Bradbury, Valerie Grove, Frank Delaney, Robertson Davies, Douglas Martin, Charles Ede, Quentin Blake, Roderick Cave and Paul W. Nash.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Folio Press, in association with the British Library, 1997.
- Physical Description:
- 331 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryZ1008 F68 N27 1997 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Rare Books and ManuscriptsMSS 17 Moss no. 24Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Roger W. MossAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Related Content:
- View finding aid for the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith
- Articles & Chapters
- "Richard Shirley Smith illustrated five books for The Folio Society prior to 1996, including Sir Richard de Coverly (1967) [no. 233; page 129]; Philip Stanhope (1973) [no. 327; page 152]; Robert Browning, Dramatic Monologues (1991) [no. 689; page 240]; Perfect and Imperfect Enjoyments (1992) [no. 725; page 252]; and Ovid, Metamorphoses (1995) [no. 812; page 275]. In each instance the citation in Folio 50 is accompanied by a reproduction of one Shirley Smith illustration for the book, including a full page from the Ovid on page 277. Shirley Smith subsequently contributed to four books for The Folio Society: prints for The Folio Golden Treasury designed by Simon Brett (1997); cover designs for Shakespeare, Complete Plays (1997); frontispiece and 21 line drawings for Virgil, The Ecologues (2000); and cover design for Carcopino, Daily Life in Ancient Rome (2004)."--Moss.
"Typeset in Monotype Postscript Bembo by The Folio Society. Text printed at St Edmundsbury Press, Bury St Edmunds, on Hamilton Wove paper. Colour plates printed at Barwell Colourprint, Midsomer Norton, on Sovereign Matt Cartridge paper. Bound in full cloth at Hunter & Foulis, Edinburgh. Slipcase collage by Paul W. Nash."--Title page verso.
Moss, R.W. Richard Shirley Smith, 24
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blue-gray cloth, with slipcase.
BAC: From the Roger W. Moss Collection of manuscript, original art and printed material by and about Richard Shirley Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Folio Press -- Publisher.Folio Society (London, England) -- Bibliography.
- Wood engravings -- 1997.
- A brief history / by Sue Bradbury
- The Folio Society today: a profile / by Valerie Grove
- On building a library / by Frank Delaney
- A lifetime's membership / by Robertson Davies
- The Folio Society and the art of illustration / by Douglas Martin
- Some thoughts on book illustration / by Charles Ede
- Illustrating for the Society today / by Quentin Blake
- Fifty years of Folio books / by Roderick Cave
- Design and production in an age of change / by Paul W. Nash.