Shakespeare's England;, 1917
Shakespeare's England; an account of the life & manners of his age.
- Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1917.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. fronts., illus., plates, ports., maps, facsims. 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR2910 S52 1917 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Articles & Chapters
- Title within ornamental border.
"So long ago as 1905 Sir Walter Raleigh sketched the first plan of this book, and in 1909 Sir Sidney Lee undertook its production.He arranged for the writing of most of the treatises now published, set on foot the first selection of the illustrations ... and made additions from his own collections and from fresh researches. In 1911 he wasobliged to postpone work upon the book ... Successive editors who tookup the task were withdrawn by war work in the course of 1914-15." TheClarendon press has employed Charles Talbut Onions for the completion of the work. cf. Pref.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Social life and customs.Great Britain -- Civilization.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Provenance (BAC,REF)Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Anniversaries, etc., 1916.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Language.Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.