The world and its inhabitants : 1981-1997 / Paul Etienne Lincoln.
- London : Book Works, 1997.
- Physical Description:
- 1 deck of cards ( cards) : ill. ; 14 cm + pamphlet (20 p.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.L55 W7 1997Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Edition limited to 1,000 copies.
Title from pamphlet.
"This card case contains a small publication describing a miniature oracle or idealised world made up of 24 characters derived from different historical periods. Details of the first performance of The world and its inhanbitants are described here, together with an insight into the mechanisms which were invented by Paul Etienne Lincoln. The 24 explanatory cards contain biographical details about the illustrious cast."--Printed box, back cover.
"The world and its inhabitants was first conceived as miniature circus, a salon divertissement. It was always intended as a very intimate ritualistic form of 18th century parlour activity ..."--Pamphlet, p. .
Issued in flip-top box (14 x 8 x 2 cm.)
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
- Playing cards.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.