Kubla can't : an out of sorts edition of Kubla Khan by Samuel Taylor Coleridge / Tony Kemplen.
- Sheffield [England] : Ring Pull Press, 1996.
- Physical Description:
-  p. ; 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4 K455 K8 1996Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Printed on a toy printing press with a limited number of characters. As each 'sort', or character, runs out, a substitute letter isused. As the font gets more and more out of sorts, the only vestige left of the original word is its length. When all the letters are used up the type is distributed back into its case and the whole process starts again. To make the book, rubbings were taken of the type ... and reduced to one third actual size. The mirror image produced by this technique is retained by printing onto tracing paper, allowing the text to be read through the page.
Artist's book yearbook 1996-97, p. 122
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Coleridge, Samuel Taylor, 1772-1834. Kubla Khan.Ring Pull Press -- Publisher
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.