Sergeant Bell and his raree-show : embellished with wood cuts / by Cruikshanks [sic], Thompson, Williams, etc.
- Additional Title(s):
Peter Parley's works, Raree show
- London : Printed for Thomas Tegg, 1839.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 447,  p. : ill. ; 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5029.M64 S47 1839Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title on some publisher bindings: Peter Parley's works, Raree show.
By Old Humphrey (George Mogridge). Wrongly attributed to Dickens.
Printed by C. Whittingham, Chiswick.
With an engraved vignette on title page.
Podeschi, J.B. Dickens, H326, 1st-3rd copies
Eckel, J.C. Dickens, p. 208-209
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 569
BEIN Gimbel/Dickens H326 3: With spine title: Peter Parley's works, Raree show. Inscribed: Robert Henry Morris, 31st May 1845.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter calf with marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Carnivals -- Great Britain -- Juvenile fiction.Morris, Robert Henry -- Autograph.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Tegg, Thomas -- Publisher.Toy theaters -- Juvenile fiction.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
- Wood engravings -- 1839.
- Exhibition I
- Crater of Mount Vesuvius
- Storm at sea
- The Epping hunt
- The Falls of Niagara
- The elephant hunt
- Exhibition II
- Mont Blanc
- The siege of Antwerp
- The giraffe hunt
- Mutiny on the Bounty
- Exhibition III
- An English farm-house
- The play-hour frolic in the school-room
- Assassination of Thomas à Becket
- Henry II on his pilgrimage
- The old House of Commons
- The House of Lords
- The Bank of England.