Voyage of the United States frigate Potomac, under the command of Commodore John Downes, during the circumnavagation of the globe, in the years 1831, 1832, 1833, and 1834 : including a particular account of the engagement at Quallah-Battoo, on the coast of Sumatra : with all the official documents relating to the same / by J.N. Reynolds ; illustrated by several engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Journal of a voyage round the world
- New-York : Published by Harper & Brothers, No. 82 Cliff-Street, and sold by the principal booksellers throughout the United States, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- , vi-x, , vi-x, , 12-560 pages,  leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG440.P8 R49 1835Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Entered, according to Act of Congress, in the year 1835, by Harper & Brothers, in the Clerk's Office of the Southern District of New-York."--Title page verso.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 70434
Checklist of American imprints, 33993
BEIN Za P752 ZzT2: Advertisements on 30 p. at end, not noted in pagination. From the library of books reviewed by Edgar Allan Poe. Bookplate: C.F. Schreiber. Inscription (top part cropt): April 29th, 1853. "T2 [check mark] 5.00" on free front endpaper.
BAC: British Art Center cop bound in publisher's original tan embossed cloth. 30 pages of publisher's advertisements at end not included in pagination. Inscribed on title page: Presented to the Somers Library.
- Subject Terms:
- Downes, John, 1784-1854.Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849 -- Ownership.Potomac (Frigate).Schreiber, Carl F. (Carl Frederick), 1886-1960 -- Bookplate.Somers Library -- Provenance.Sumatra (Indonesia -- Description and travelUnited States -- History, Naval.Voyages around the world.
- Travel literature -- 1831-1834.
Aquatints -- 1835.
Engravings -- 1835.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 20th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Reynolds, J. N. (Jeremiah N.), 1799-1858, Voyage of the United States frigate Potomac, under the command of Commodore John Downes, during the circumnavagation of the globe, in the years 1831, 1832, 1833, and 1834 , 1835
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.