IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Glasgow looking glass, 
Glasgow looking glass.
- Additional Title(s):
Heath's comic looking-glass; or, mirror of mirth.
- Glasgow : Printed, published & sold by John Watson, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. : ill. ; 45 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 24View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- BEIN 1998 Folio S2: From the library of Ralph Hodgson; with ms. notes by him.
Conceived and illustrated by William Heath.
Europe's first caricature magazine. Cf. Bryant. Dictionary of British cartoonists and caricaturists, 1730-1980.
First seven issues are lithographed. The remainder are etched.
Reproduced from manuscript copy.
Title varies: June 11-Aug. 6, 1825, Glasgow looking glass: Aug. 28-Sept. 3, 1825: Northern looking glass, or litho's album; Sept. 17, 1825-Feb. 20, 1826, Northern looking glass.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 18
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain -- Periodicals.Hodgson, Ralph, 1871-1962 -- Ms. notes.Hodgson, Ralph, 1871-1962 -- Ownership.Satire, British -- Periodicals.Scottish wit and humor -- Periodicals.Watson, John -- Publisher.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 20th century.
- IIIF Manifest:
Pleasures and Pastimes (Yale Center for British Art, 1990-02-21 - 1990-04-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.