The tao of water : poem / by James Kirkup ; with prints by Birgit Skiöld.
- Guildford [England] : Circle Press, 1979.
- Physical Description:
- , 29,  p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.K578 T36 1979+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Articles & Chapters
- Poem by James Kirkup with eight lithographed and etched images by Birgit Skiold. The text chosen by the artist is one section from a longer poem 'Seven Meditations on the Teachings of Leo Tzu' and reflects on the analogy of water, in its humble and all accepting action, to the Tao (or Way). 'The Tao of Water' was first published as part of 'Zen contemplations' by James Kirkup in 1978.
"A signed edition of 200 books with twenty artist's proof copies, five h[ors] c(ommerce), and ten reserved for presentation."--P. 
"The lithographs and etchings were designed and hand-printed by the artist Birgit Skiöld at Print Workshop, London, with the assistance of Richard Michel and Ian Brice. The text was set ... and printed by Ron King at Circle Press ..."--Colophon.
On 10 folded sheets, issued in a solander case.
Cooking the Books : Ron King and Circle Press, p. 171
BAC: British Art Center copy is no.  of 200 copies, signed by Kirkup and Skiöld.
- Subject Terms:
- Circle Press -- Publisher.Kirkup, James, 1918-2009 -- Autograph.Skiöld, Birgit -- Autograph.Taoism -- Poetry.
- Livres d'artistes.
Relief prints -- 1979.
Lithographs -- 1979.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.