Dobson, Austin, 1840-1921, Eighteenth century vignettes , 1892
Eighteenth century vignettes / by Austin Dobson.
- Additional Title(s):
Eighteenth century vignettes. First series
- London : Chatto & Windus, 1892.
- Physical Description:
- 261,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. (folded) ; 20 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR441 D63 1892 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Subsequent editions of this work are designated "first series", to distinguish it from the second and third series which the author published after 1892.
Fifteen of the papers appeared in the New York "Christian union": of the five papers remaining, "Old Vauxhall gardens" was publishedin "Scribner's magazine: and the other four in the "Saturday review","Longman's magazine", the "National review", and the "Library".
Dobson, Alban. Austin Dobson, 23.
New Cambridge bibliography of English literature, v.3, p.1427.
Book plate mounted on front paste down: A collection of first editions brought together by Fred A. and Frances Rosenstock.
Gilt top edges.
Bound in original dark blue buckram with lettering in gilt on spine.
- Subject Terms:
- English literature -- 18th century -- History and criticism.Great Britain -- Intellectual life.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Provenance (BAC,REF)
- Steele's letters
- Prior's 'Kitty'
- Spence's 'Anecdotes'
- Captain Coram's charity
- 'The female Quixote'-- Fielding's 'Voyage to Lisbon'
- Hanway's travels
- A garret in Gough Square
- Hogarth's Sigismunda
- 'The citizen of the world'-- An old London bookseller
- Gray's library --The new Chesterfield
- A day at Strawberry Hill
- Goldsmith's library --In Cowper's arbour
- The Quaker of art
- Bewick's tailpieces
- A German in England
- Old Vauxhall gardens.