The lives of gallant ladies / by Pierre de Bourdeille, seigneur & abbot of Brantome ; translated out of the French by H.M. ; embellished with woodcuts by Robert Gibbings.
- Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire : Privately printed for subscribers only, 1924.
Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire : Golden Cockerel Press, 1924.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC112.A4 B73 1924Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Preface by Francis Macnamara.
Volume 2 translated by Francis Macnamara.
"This is to certify that the edition of Brantôme's 'Lives of Gallant Ladies,' is printed privately at The Golden Cockerel Press and issued to subscribers in July, 1924, is strictly limited to the following numbers, which include all copies whether for sale or presentation: 625 sets on rag paper; 75 sets on Dutch hand-made paper; and 18 sets on English hand-made paper. The type was distributed immediately after printing and the blocks destroyed. [Signed]: Robert Gibbings. Director, Golden Cockerel Press, 17th July, 1924."--Printed sheet laid in volume 1.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 18
BEIN 1998 +274: Initialed by H.M.
BAC: British Art Center copy unnumbered. Bound in black quarter linen with blue-green paper covered boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Erotic literature.France -- Biography.France -- Court and courtiers -- Biography.French literature -- Translations into English.H. M. -- Autograph.Private press books -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence -- Specimens.Queens -- France -- Biography.Women -- France -- Biography.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence.
Wood engravings -- 1924.
YCBA Collections Search
Brantôme, Pierre de Bourdeille, seigneur de, -1614, The lives of gallant ladies , 1924
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.