The history of the monastery founded at Tynemouth, in the diocese of Durham, to the honour of God, under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and S. Oswin, king and martyr / by William Sidney Gibson Esq., barrister at law, F.S.A. etc.
- London : Published for the author by William Pickering, MDCCCXLVI-MDCCCXLVII [1846-1847]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA690.T98 G53 1846+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Probably co-designed by the author and Henry Shaw. Cf. McLean.
Includes medieval-style initial letters by Henry Shaw, lithographic reproductions of etchings by and after T.M. Richardson, lithographed facsimiles, and small wood-engravings.
Printed by Peter White & Son, London.
Title page printed in black and red; with a wood-engraved vignette.
With a half-title.
McLean, R. Victorian book design and colour printing, p. 68
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Subject Terms:
- Monasteries -- Great Britain -- History.Oswin, Saint, King of Deira, -651.Pickering, William -- Publisher.Priories -- Great Britain -- History.Tynemouth Priory -- History.
- Chromolithographs -- 1846-1847.
Wood engravings -- 1846-1847.
Lithographs -- 1846-1847.
YCBA Collections Search
Gibson, William Sidney, 1814-1871, The history of the monastery founded at Tynemouth, in the diocese of Durham, to the honour of God, under the invocation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and S. Oswin, king and martyr , MDCCCXLVI-MDCCCXLVII [1846-1847]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.