Wotton, Henry, Sir, 1568-1639, The elements of architecture , MDCXXIV 
The elements of architecture / collected by Henry Wotton, Knight, from the best authors and examples.
- Additional Title(s):
Elements of architectvre
- London : Printed by Iohn Bill, MDCXXIV 
- Physical Description:
- , 123,  p. ; 18 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 .W68 1624 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 .W68 1624 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Related Content:
- View a selection of digital images in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Eliz 244: The first edition, with cancel signed B₄. Bound in contemporary blind-tooled vellum. Inscribed "Ex dono Authoris" on the title page. Signature of John Poley, dated 1655, on the title page,and signature of Chr. Robinson of Lincoln's Inn, dated 1735, on the front endpaper. Three bookplates of George Cornwall Legh and the High Legh Library. Closely trimmed, affecting title page and some catchwords. Gift of H. Page Cross.
First theoretical work on architecture published in English. Cf. Harris.
Signatures: [symbol]⁴(-symbol1) A² A-P⁴ Q².
B4 is a cancel, signed "B4". Variant: B4 is cancellandum, unsigned.
Pages 86, 87, and 100 misnumbered 78, 86, and 110.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 3716
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 26011
Fowler architectural collection of the Johns Hopkins University, 445
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 948
English short title catalogue, S120324
Errata statement: p. 123.
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Inscribed "William Davison, Esq. Blakiston County, Palatine of Durhham, 1733" on back fly-leaf. Also, signature of Thomas Davison on back fly-leaf.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in 17th century English blind-tooled calf. Bookplate of Richard Blackett Beaumont. Inscribed "Tho. Cowley's book. Bought in London in the the year 1644" on back endpaper.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate. (BACRB Copy 2)Bill, John, PrinterCowley, Tho. -- Inscription. (BACRB Copy 2)Cross, H. Page, 1910-1975 -- Ownership. (bein)Davison, Thomas -- Autograph. (BACRB Copy 1)Davison, William, Esq., 1733 -- Autograph. (BACRB Copy 1)High Legh Library -- Bookplate. (bein)Legh, George Cornwall -- Bookplate. (bein)Poley, John -- Autograph. (bein)Robinson, Christopher, b. 1712 or 13 -- Autograph. (bein)Wotton, Henry, Sir, 1568-1639 -- Inscription. (bein)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.