Jones, Shirley, Etched in Autumn, 1997
- Etched in Autumn.
- [Croyden, Surrey, England] : [Red Hen Press], 1997.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 54Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "In 1994, after a thirty-year 'exile,' we returned to our naive Wales; Etched in Autumn is very much a response to a time and place in my life. The mezzotint is our local lake, Llangors"--Patkus.
"A response to the landscapes of Breconshire, where Shirley Jones came back to live in the autumn of her life. Five folders embossed with blind-printed etchings of local flora, fauna and her cats enclose leaves of Japanese Unryushi printed with passages of her poem, which begins with the biblical 'Comfort me with apples'. This becomes an extended metaphor for the storehouse of her life, stocked in old age ... The poem is printed letterpress in Perpetua typeface. The images employ mezzotint, aquatint and etching, printed on Somerset paper. The book is limited to forty copies. The five landscapes are signed and numbered 1-40. Those numbered 41-70 are available separately."--Colophon.
Binding varies: "In terracotta solander box blocked with a winter birch and lined with Fabriano Murillo ... [also] Ten de-luxe limp bindings by Jan Ascoli: leather spine support sewn through with linen thread. Tray-style slipcase with leather title and onlay."--Prospectus
Patkus, R.D. Shirley Jones and the Red Hen Press, 20
Artist's book yearbook 1998-1999, p. 124
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 19 of 40, signed and dated by the artist in graphite. In original cloth-covered case.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.English poetry.Etching -- Specimens -- 1997.Jones, Shirley -- Autograph.Private presses -- England -- Specimens.Red Hen Press -- Publisher.Women in natural history.
- Livres d'artistes.
Aquatints -- 1997.
Mezzotints -- 1997.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.