Hassell, J. (John), d. 1825, The speculum, or, Art of drawing in water colours , 1816
- The speculum, or, Art of drawing in water colours : with instructions for sketching from nature; comprising the whole process of a water-coloured drawing, familiarly exemplified in drawing, shadowing, and tinting a complete landscape, in all its progressive stages : with directions for compounding and using colours, sepia, indian ink, bister, etc. / by J.Hassell.
- Alternate Title(s):
Art of drawing in water colours.
- Third edition : with additional plates.
- London : The author, sold by Sherwood, Neely & Jones, 1816.
- Physical Description:
- 32 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2420 .H38 1816Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
Abbey, J.R. Life 141
Gilpin to Ruskin / exhibition selected and catalogued by Peter Bicknell .... London, 1987. 33.
Illustrated with three folding plates to show the usual three stages of a landscape drawing. Cf. Bicknell.
Revised edition published in 1823 under title 'The Camera'.
Illustrations by and after John Hassell.
- Subject Terms:
- Color.Etching -- Specimens -- 1816.Hassell, J. (John), d. 1825 -- Publisher.Landscape painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.Landscape painting -- Technique.Watercolor painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Aquatints -- 1816.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1816.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.