Art made modern , 1999
Art made modern : Roger Fry's vision of art / edited by Christopher Green.
- London : Merrell Holberton in association with the Courtauld Gallery, Courtauld Institute of Art, 1999.
- Physical Description:
- 224 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18 F94336 A67 1999 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Art Made Modern: Roger Fry's Vision of Art" at the Courtauld Gallery, Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 15 October 1999-23 January 2000"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Exhitions.Art -- Influence -- Exhibitions.Art -- Influence.Art -- Philosophy of.Art criticism.Art, Modern -- 20th century.Art.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Exhibitions.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Exhibitions.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Influence.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934.
- Exhibition catalogues.
- Foreword / John Murdoch
- Preface / Christopher Green
- pt. I. Essays on Roger Fry: art, criticism and design. Into the twentieth century: Roger Fry's project seen from 2000 / Christopher Green ; Out of the nineteenth century: Roger Fry's early art criticism, 1900-1906 / Elizabeth Prettejohn ; Fathers and sons: Walter Sickert and Roger Fry / Anna Greutzner Robins ; From "art quake" to "pure visual music": Roger Fry and modern British art, 1910-1916 / Richard Cork ; Roger Fry's social vision of art / Judith Collins
- pt. II. Essays on Roger Fry: remaking the canon. Roger Fry and early Italian art / Caroline Elam ; European 'masterpieces' for America: Roger Fry and the Metropolitan Museum of Art / Flaminia Gennari Santori ; Expanding the canon: Roger Fry's evaluations of the 'civilized' and the 'savage' / Christopher Green
- pt. III. Roger Fry's canon: From African sculpture to Vlaminck, incorporating the catalogue of the exhibition / Christopher Green
- A lecture by Roger Fry: 'Principles of Design. I. General ideas, paleolithic and neolithic, eary art to Giotto'