Art made modern , 1999
Art made modern : Roger Fry's vision of art / edited by Christopher Green.
- London : Merrell Holberton in association with the Courtauld Gallery, Courtauld Institute of Art, 1999.
- Physical Description:
- 224 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits (chiefly color) ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18 F94336 A67 1999 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition "Art Made Modern: Roger Fry's Vision of Art" at the Courtauld Gallery, Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 15 October 1999-23 January 2000"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Exhitions.Art -- Influence -- Exhibitions.Art -- Influence.Art -- Philosophy of.Art criticism.Art, Modern -- 20th century.Art.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Exhibitions.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Exhibitions.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934 -- Influence.Fry, Roger, 1866-1934.
- Exhibition catalogues.
- Foreword / John Murdoch
- Preface / Christopher Green
- pt. I. Essays on Roger Fry: art, criticism and design. Into the twentieth century: Roger Fry's project seen from 2000 / Christopher Green ; Out of the nineteenth century: Roger Fry's early art criticism, 1900-1906 / Elizabeth Prettejohn ; Fathers and sons: Walter Sickert and Roger Fry / Anna Greutzner Robins ; From "art quake" to "pure visual music": Roger Fry and modern British art, 1910-1916 / Richard Cork ; Roger Fry's social vision of art / Judith Collins
- pt. II. Essays on Roger Fry: remaking the canon. Roger Fry and early Italian art / Caroline Elam ; European 'masterpieces' for America: Roger Fry and the Metropolitan Museum of Art / Flaminia Gennari Santori ; Expanding the canon: Roger Fry's evaluations of the 'civilized' and the 'savage' / Christopher Green
- pt. III. Roger Fry's canon: From African sculpture to Vlaminck, incorporating the catalogue of the exhibition / Christopher Green
- A lecture by Roger Fry: 'Principles of Design. I. General ideas, paleolithic and neolithic, eary art to Giotto'