The British dominions in North America, or, A topographical and statistical description of the provinces of Lower and Upper Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, the islands of Newfoundland, Prince Edward, and Cape Breton : including considerations on land granting and emigration : and a topographical dictionary of Lower Canada : to which are annexed, statistical tables and tables of distances, &c. / by Joseph Bouchette, Esq., Surveyor General of Lower Canada, Lieut. Colonel C.M., Vice Pesident of he Literary and Historical Society of Quebec, and Corresponding Member of the Society of Arts, London ; embellished with views, plans of towns, harbours, &c ; in two volumes.
- Additional Title(s):
Topographical and statistical description of the provinces of Lower and Upper Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, the islands of Newfoundland, Prince Edward, and Cape Breton
Bouchette's British Dominions in North America
- London : Published by Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, and Longman, Paternoster Row, 1832.
London : Printed by Thomas Davison, Whitefriars, 
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1008 .B68 1832+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Spine title, on publisher's printed label, indicates that the work was in fact published in three volumes: "Bouchette's British Dominions in North America. With 30 plates. 3 vols. £4. 4s." The third volume comprises "A topographical dictionary of Lower Canada."
Engraved portrait by J. Thomson; after George Engleheart.
Aquatints by J. & C. Walker.
Lithographs by L. Haghe, Day and Haghe, and William Day; after Joseph Bouchette, R.S.M. Bouchette, and "Mr. Burrows land surveyor."
Engraved maps by J. & C. Walker, and J. Walkers; after F. Cattlin and Joseph Bouchette. One with the imprint of W. Faden, 1815
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bookplate: Sir Richard Vyvyan Bt. Bound in contemporary purple cloth and brown boards, with publisher's printed spine label.
MUDD Egd +830: The "Topographical dictionary of Lower Canada" is bound as v. 3 of this set.
- Subject Terms:
- Canada -- Description and travel.Canada -- Statistics.Québec (Province) -- Gazetteers.Vyvyan, Richard -- Bookplate.
- Aquatints -- 1832.
Engravings -- 1832.
Lithographs -- 1832.
YCBA Collections Search
Bouchette, Joseph, 1774-1841, The British dominions in North America, or, A topographical and statistical description of the provinces of Lower and Upper Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, the islands of Newfoundland, Prince Edward, and Cape Breton , 1832
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.