Excursion through the slave states : from Washington on the Potomac to the frontier of Mexico : with sketches of popular manners and geological notices / by G.W. Featherstonhaugh, F.R.S., F. G. S. ; in two volumes.
- Additional Title(s):
Featherstonhaugh's excursion through the slave states
Travels in America
- London : John Murray, Albemarle Street, 1844.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF213 .F43 1844Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Running title: Travels in America.
Added title page in both volumes, with title: Featherstonhaugh's excursion through the slave states.
Tinted lithographs drawn by Thomas Picken. Printed by Day & Haghe.
Added title page wood-engraved vignettes signed: S. Williams (v. 1); G. Catlin, S. Williams (v. 2).
Printed by William Clowes and Sons, Stamford Street.
Clark, T.D. Travels in the Old South, III:40
Library Company of Philadelphia. Afro-Americana, 1553-1906, 3626
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 654
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in gilt-stamped calf binding. Library stamp in blue ink on t.p.: Union Club.
- Subject Terms:
- Murray, J. -- Publisher.Slavery -- United States.Southern States -- Description and travel.Southern States -- Social life and customs.Union Club -- Stamp.William Clowes and Sons -- Printer.
- Travel literature -- Southern States.
Wood engravings -- 1844.
Lithographs -- 1844.
YCBA Collections Search
Featherstonhaugh, George William, 1780-1866, Excursion through the slave states , 1844
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.