Ten views in the island of Antigua : in which are represented the process of sugar making, and the employment of the Negroes, in the field, boiling-house and distillery / from drawings made by William Clark.
- [London] : Published by Thomas Clay, Ludgate-Hill, London, 1823.
- Physical Description:
-  p., 10 leaves of plates : ill. ; 35 x 47 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2010 10Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Each plate accompanied by page of descriptive letterpress.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 690
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half calf with marbled boards. Plates marked proofs.
- Subject Terms:
- Blacks -- Antigua -- Pictorial works.Clay, T. -- Publisher.Industries -- Antigua -- Pictorial works.Slavery -- Antigua -- Pictorial works.Sugar growing -- Antigua -- Pictorial works.Sugar workers -- Antigua -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1823.
- The court-house
- Digging, or rather hoeing, the cane-holes
- Planting the sugar-cane
- Cutting the sugar-cane
- The mill-yard
- The boiling-house
- Exterior of the boiling-house
- Exterior of curing-house and stills
- Interior of the distillery
- Carting and putting sugar-hogsheads on board.