Diuers voyages touching the discouerie of America, and the ilands adiacent vnto the same, made first of all by our Englishmen, and afterward by the Frenchmen and Britons: and certaine notes of aduertisements for obseruations, necessarie for such as shall heereafter make the like attempt, with two mappes annexed heereunto for the plainer vnderstanding of the whole matter.
- Additional Title(s):
Divers voyages touching the discoverie of America, and the ilands adjacent unto the same
Septentrio orbis vniuersalis descriptio
Septentrio orbis universalis descriptio
Illustri viro, Domino Philippo Sidnæo Michael Lok ciuis Londinensis hanc chartam dedicabat, 1582
Illustri viro, Domino Philippo Sidnaeo Michael Lok civis Londinensis hanc chartam dedicabat, 1582
- Imprinted at London : [By Thomas Dawson] for Thomas VVoodcocke, dwelling in paules Church-yard, at the signe of the blacke beare, 1582.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  folded leaves of plates : maps ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsE121 .D58 1582Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- "The Epistle Dedicatorie" ( p.) with caption: "To the right worshipfull and most vertuous gentleman master Phillip Sydney Esquire" signed by R.H., Richard Hakluyt.
A compilation of various documents relating to discoveries in the New World.
Printer's name from colophon.
Signatures: pi² [par.]⁴ A-D⁴; ²A-K⁴.
The maps have captions "Septentrio orbis vniuersalis descriptio" and "Illustri viro, Domino Philippo Sidnæo Michael Lok ciuis Londinensis hanc chartam dedicabat, 1582."
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007); "Wilde Americk: Discovery and Exploration of the New World" (Yale Center for British Art, 27 September-30 December, 2001).
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 12624
English short title catalogue, S105954
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 29592
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect. Lacks leaves: ²B1, ²B4, ²H-²K, all of which are supplied in facsimile. The Thorne and Lok maps are also wanting and supplied in facsimile. Bound in later blind-tooled smooth calf. Bookplate: H.C.L. Morris, M.D. Includes two early pen & ink drawing of ships and a few early ms. notes in margins.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration -- Early works to 1800.America -- Early accounts to 1600.Dawson, Thomas -- Printer.Discoveries in geography -- Early accounts to 1600.Morris, H.C.L., M.D. -- Bookplate.Northwest Passage -- Early accounts to 1600.Voyages and travels -- Early works to 1800.Woodcocke, Thomas -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1582.
- Travel literature -- America -- 1582.
Exploration literature -- England -- London -- 1582.
Paul Mellon's Legacy : A Passion for British Art (Yale Center for British Art, 2007-04-18 - 2007-07-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Wilde Americk - Discovery and Exploration of the New World, 1500-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-09-27 - 2001-09-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]