A series of eight plates of fox hunting / from the original drawings by W. P. Hodges, Esqr. ; and engraved by Mr. Henry Alken.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, 26 Haymarket, 1833[-1834]
- Physical Description:
- , 8,  leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 76 x 56 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2013 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Silzter "gives it as his considered opinion that, in these prints, there is a preponderance of Alken over Hodges, Esq." (The story of British sporting prints, p. 154).
"The names of artist, engraver, and publisher are etched on each of the aquatints, along with 'Proof Impression' and 'Colored by F. Rosenburg' ... Since the Schwerdt copy of this book is also a 'Proof impression', it seems likely that these luxuriously large, hand-colored etchings were published only in a deluxe, or 'proof' issue."--Podeschi.
Engraved throughout, except title page (with large illustration), which is lithographed. Front cover of publisher's printed pink wrappers has the same lettering and vignette as lithographed title.
The plates are dated July 1, 1833. A supplementary unnumbered plate was published Nov. 1, 1834.
The original drawings for plates 1, 2, 4, and 6-8 are in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art, Department of Prints and Drawings.
"Dedicated by special permission to His Grace the Duke of Beaufort K.G."--Title page.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 144
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, I, p. 244-245
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 153-158
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 103
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.) 265
BAC: British Art Center copy is unbound. Each plate is matted; original pink paper covers laid in. May be considered the first serious rare book collected by Paul Mellon (cf. Paul Mellon's legacy, p. 58).
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Hunt riding -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1833-1834.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1833-1834.
Aquatints -- 1833-1834.
- Plate I. Going out of kennel
- Pl. 2. Finding (in a bog)
- Pl. 3. Coursers tying up their dogs, fearful of spoiling sport
- Pl. 4. Crossing the River Avon
- Pl. 5. The chase
- Pl. 6. Hold hard
- Pl. 7. The death and the treeing
- Pl. 8. The return home
- Supplementary plate. Consequences