Pub signs for Samuel Webster : forty-one wood-engravings / by Kathleen Lindsley.
- London : The Whittington Press & Pentagram Design, April 1983.
- Physical Description:
-  pages : illustrations ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE1147.6.L57 A4 1983Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Neale Albert, Yale JD 1961, and Margaret AlbertView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "350 copies hand-set in 11-point Walbaum and printed at Whittington on Zerkall mould-made paper. Bound in Whittington marbled paper by Woolnoughs. April 2013."--Colophon.
Place of publication from title page verso.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 307 of 350 copies, signed by Lindsley. Bound in publisher's original marbled boards.
SML : Signed by artist.
"In Dr Johnson's time a promise of happiness was conveyed by pictorial signs that hung outside the inns to welcome the visitor. Samuel Webster has returned to this tradition and engaged the extraordinarily gifted engraver, Kathleen Lindsley, to create a series of original pictorial signs for their pubs in the West Riding of Yorkshire."--Page .
- Subject Terms:
- Samuel Webster & Sons Ltd.Signs and signboards -- England.
- Wood engravings -- 1983.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.