Y morgrugyn cloff, 1999
- Y morgrugyn cloff.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Lame ant
Mabinogion. English & Welsh. Selections.
- [Brecon, Powys] : [Red Hen Press], 1999.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. (mezzotint, aquatint, and relief etching) ; 40 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 6 OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "In the tale of 'Culhwch and Olwen', the hardest of the forty tasks Ysbaddaden sets Culhwch as a price for winning his daughter is to obtain the comb, razor' and scissors from behind the ear of the giant boar, Twrch Trwyth. After the headlong pursuit across Wales from Ireland, King Arthur sends Gwrhyr, Interpreter of Tongues, in the form of a bird to negotiate with Grugyn Silver Bristle, Twrch's young sons. The image, a mezzotint with gilding, has Gwrhyr perched on an Iish sanding-stone"--Cf. Patkus.
"Seven tales from The Mabinogion, introduced & abridged by Shirley Jones, but still preserving their full flavour, with her translations in italic of passages selected to convey the humour, irony & lyricism that permeate these stories. Seven of her images in mezzotint, aquatint & relief etching are interleaved with Unryushi tissue printed with the Welsh passages they illustrate. The English text was set in 14-point Baskerville typeface, at Gwasg Gregynog, & printed throughout by Shirley Jones, on Rives mouldmade paper, in an edition of 40."--Colophon.
Patkus, R.D. Shirley Jones and the Red Hen Press, 21
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 27 or 40, signed and dated by the artist. A de luxe copy, with leather spine, paste-painted Fabriano endpapers, housed in a cloth covered solander box. Publisher's printed prospectus for this work laid in.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Folk tales, Welsh.Jones, Shirley -- Autograph.Mabinogion.Red Hen Press -- Publisher.
- Livres d'artistes.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.