Pain, William, 1730?-1790?, The practical builder, or, Workman's general assistant , MDCCLXXIV 
- The practical builder, or, Workman's general assistant : shewing the most approved and easy methods for drawing and working the whole or separate part of any building, as the use of the tramel for groins, angle-brackets, niches, &c. semi-circular arches on flewing jambs, the preparing and making their soffits : rules of carpentry, to find the length and backing of hips, strait or curves, trusses for roofs, domes &c., trussing of girders, sections of flooors, &c. : the proportion of the five orders, in their general and particular parts, gluing of columns, stair-cases with their ramp and twist rails, fixing the carriages, newels, &c. : frontispieces, chimney-pieces, ceilings, cornices, architraves, &c. in the newest taste : with plans and elevations of gentlemens and farm-houses, yards, barns, &c. / by William Pain, architect and joiner ; engraved on eighty-three plates.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Practical builder
Workman's general assistant
- London : Printed for I. Taylor, at the Bible and Crown, in Holborn, near Chancery-Lane, MDCCLXXIV 
- Physical Description:
-  p., LXXXIII leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 .P35 1774+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates 4, 6, 9 and 69 accompanied by leaf with descriptive letterpress.
"Price 12 s. bound."--Title page.
ESTC (RLIN), T96026
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 240.1
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 640
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 2371
With a final leaf of advertisements.
LWL 73 774P: Bookplate of Nathaniel Lloyd.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in decorated reverse calf binding. P. 5 unnumbered. Bookplate: A. Leonard Roberts.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Design and plans -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Details -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Building -- Early works to 1800.Lloyd, Nathaniel, 1867-1933 -- Bookplate.Roberts, A. Leonard -- Bookplate.Taylor, I. -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1774.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.