An account of the voyages undertaken by the order of His present Majesty for making discoveries in the Southern hemisphere : and successively performed by Commodore Byron, Captain Wallis, Captain Carteret, and CaptainCook, in the Dolphin, the Swallow, and the Endeavour : drawn up from the journals which were kept by the several commanders, and from the papers of Joseph Banks, Esq / by John Hawkesworth, LL.D. ; in three volumes ; illustrated with cuts, and a great variety of charts and maps relative to countries now first discovered, or hitherto but imperfectly known.
- London : Printed for W. Strahan, and T. Cadell ..., 1773.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. plates (part fold.) maps (part fold., incl. front.) charts (part fold.) 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG420 C65 H3 1773+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC : "The earliest issues of the first edition lack the directions for placing the cuts and the Chart of the Streight of Magellan ..."--Sydney. Public Library of New South Wales. Mitchell Library. Bibliography of Captain James Cook. 2d ed. Sydney, 1970, no. 648. In the British Art Center copy, the directions are
BAC : Frontispiece, vol. 1, bound in after 6th preliminary leaf.
BAC : Plates engraved by E. Rooker, J. Hall, F. Bartolozzi, I. Miller, James Roberts, Record, W. Woollett, and Will. Byrne; after James Roberts, and J.B. Cipriani.
BAC : Some maps or charts engraved by W. Whitchurch, T. Bowen & J. Gibson, I. Cheevers, I. Bayly, John Ryland, or Isa. Noüal.
BAC : The third volume is continuously paged with the second.
- Subject Terms:
- Oceania -- Discovery and exploration.Voyages around the world.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Hawkesworth, John, 1715?-1773, An account of the voyages undertaken by the order of His present Majesty for making discoveries in the Southern hemisphere , 1773
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.