Memoirs of the public and private life of Napoleon Bonaparte / with copious historical illustrations, and original anecdotes, from the ms. of Count Labédoyère, interspersed with extracts from M.V. Arnault, Counts Rapp, Montholon, Las Cases, Gourgaud, Segur, &c. Preceded by an, analysis of the French revolution.
- London : Published by George Virture, [1835?]
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDC203 .M45 1835Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Originally issued in parts, with title on printed wrappers: Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte : with copious historical illustrations and original anecdotes, from the MS. of Count Labedoyere : bringing the history of the period of the battle of Waterloo : to conclude with the two volumes of the Voice from St. Helena by Barry O'Meara ... : preceded by an interesting analysis of the French Revolution.
Colored steel engraved portrait of Napoleon Francis Charles Joseph, Duke of Reichstadt by J. Rogers. Colored aquatint portrait of Field Marshall Prince Blücher of Wahlstatt by Hopwood. Colored lithograph map of the battles of Waterloo and Ligny by Noble. Colored lithographed portrait of "Napoleon, ut in morte recumbit" by Fenner.
Printed by R. Clay, Bread-Street-Hill.
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 12, p. 798
BAC: British Art Center copy in original parts, in printed wrappers. The set appears to be made up from variant printings. Part 1 (nos. 1-4) and part 6 are in yellow wrappers, all but the first of which are dated 1835. Parts 2-11 are in paler beige wrappers, undated, with the words "Coloured Edition" printed at the head of the title.
- Subject Terms:
- Blansford -- Autograph.Clay, R. -- Printer.France -- History -- 1789-1815.France -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821.Virture, G. -- Publisher.
- Steel engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
YCBA Collections Search
La Bédoyère, Charles Angélique François Huchet, comte de, 1786-1815, Memoirs of the public and private life of Napoleon Bonaparte , [1835?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.