Downes, Penelope, River bank stages, 1994
- River bank stages.
- First edition.
- Bristol [England] : Queriendo Press, 1994.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.D686 R5 1994+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "I chose the 16th. century text for visual reasons. It is an anonymous manuscript from the Samuel Pepys library, Oxford. It is printed from circuit board film on a copper plate onto marbled paper. ... The front cover is embossed with blocking foil from an etching plate. The elastic is a gesture to hold the pages in place as recipe books never stay open on the right page."--Artist's statement.
"River Bank Stages was designed as an example to illustrate to contemporary poets I would like to work with how a book could be made using transparent layers to show the structure of both the image and the text. Stage proofs of an etching that I had previously made titled River Bank were reduced and photocopied onto acetates to reveal each of the changes in the etching up until the final proof. Words were added to show how they could be made to fall back into the book rather than remain on the the surface of the page. The image in River Bank is the Lloyds bank that dominates the quayside in Bristol ..."--Artist's statement.
Issued in an edition of 10 copies.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 5 of 10, signed by the artist. Bound in original black cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Lloyds Bank.Thames River (England)
- Artists' books -- Great Britain
Etchings -- 1994.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.