The coral aquarium / Mandy Bonnell ; with a poem by Gabriel Gbadamosi.
- [England] : [Mandy Bonnell, New North Press], 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : ill. ; 25 x 594 cm, folded to 25 x 33 cm, attached to boards 26 x 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2009 10Yale Center for British Art, Gift of the artist; Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- © The Artist
- " ... contains 17 wood engravings printed by the artist on Gampi Vellum. The text was set and printed by Graham Bignell of New North Press. The edition is limited to 30 copies. Numbers 1-15 have been specially bound by Elizabeth Neville Bookbinding. Numbers 16-30 are available individually."--Colophon.
Bound, accordion fold format, in quarter black leather and illustrated black cloth.
Bonnell's original drawings for 8 of the illustrations in the present work, corresponding to leaves , , , , , , and --plus one less finished design not published--are in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts, Folio A 2009 10).
Of green leaf, bird, and flower: artists' books and the natural world, p. 205
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 3 of 15 bound copies, signed by the artist. BAC has Bonnell's original drawings for 8 of the illustrations in the present work, corresponding to leaves , , , , , , and , plus one less finished design not published. All 9 of the drawings are in white watercolor and white colored pencil, on a black background; all are signed by the artist (Folio A 2009 10a).
Bonnell's 17 wood-engravigns depict fish of the reefs of the Lamu Archipelago. The species of fish, as listed on leaf , include: brown sand shark, needle fish, ribbon tail ray, patterned tongued sole, moon fish, catfish, spotted ray, hair tailed blennie, brown sand shark, ray, two eyed coral fiddler ray, spotted eagle ray, saw fish, electric ray, tape fish, and sting ray.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Bignell, Graham -- Printer.Coral reef fishes -- Kenya -- Lamu -- Pictorial works.Kenya -- In art.Lamu (Kenya) -- In art.Neville, Elizabeth -- Binder.New North Press -- Printer.
- Artists' books -- Great Britain
Accordion fold format (Binding).
Wood engravings -- 1997.
- IIIF Manifest: