[Brass and ironmongery trade catalogue]
- [Birmingham, England? : s.n., 1808?].
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 20 x 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHD9539.B7 B73 1800z+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved pattern book of samples of a travelling salesman in brass and irommongery. There are 149 engraved patterns, printed on 96 sheets, of which 19 are folding, each having up to 10 different items. Each item or series has a printed stock number (in one case a printed stock list is bound in).
Contains fixture and ornament used in a well-appointed and furnished Regency residence: cornice fasteners, candle-holders, sconces and candlesticks, patent toast stands for use in fireplaces, curtain rings, rods and rosettes, bell-pulls, doorknobs, knockers and bolts, door plates, drawer handles, pulleys, reading desk furniture, numerous fine chair castors, some with lion feet and "Egyptian and "Etruscan" decorations", hinges, nails, shutter lifters, clock ornaments, etc. The last 28 pages show a variety of fine brass decorative ornaments and strip moldings for chairs, cabinets, tables, and pianofortes.
Likely published at Birmingham, the center of the brasswork trade in 19th century England. Birmingham catalogues usually lacked dates and names of publishers. They were usually assembled from already printed sheets.
Paper is watermarked 1808.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original green marbled boards, with leather back. Prices for each individual item (usually per dozen or gross) added in pen and ink.
- Subject Terms:
- Brass -- Catalogs.Brasswork -- Great Britain -- Catalogs.Commercial catalogs -- Brass.Commercial catalogs -- Great Britain.Decoration and ornament -- Great Britain.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1808.Furniture -- Great Britain.Pattern books -- Great Britain.
- Trade catalogs
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.