Halfpenny, William, d. 1755, Rural architecture in the Chinese taste,, 1755
- Rural architecture in the Chinese taste, being designs entirely new for the decoration of gardens, parks, forrests, insides of houses, &c., on sixty copper plates, with full instructions for workmen; also a near estimate of the charge, and hints where proper to be erected. The whole invented & drawn by Willm. & Inn. Halfpenny ...
- The 3d ed. With the adition of 4 plates ... of roofs for Chinese & Indian temples ...
- London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, 1755.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pt. in 1 v. 64 plates (part fold.) 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA8450 H17 1755 copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA8450 H17 1755 copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BAC : British Art Center has 2 copies. In copy 1, there are 4 p. of text (incl. t.-p.) preceding the plates of pt. 3. In copy 2, the same text, in a different setting of type, occupies 6 p.; an additional 2 p. (p. 7-8) being advertisements.
BAC : Head- and tail-pieces.
BAC : Some plates signed Parr, or B. Cole.
Each part has also special t.-p., dated 1750-52.
- pt. I. New designs for Chinese temples, triumphal arches, garden seats, palings, &c.--pt. II. New designs for Chinese bridges, temples, triumphal arches, garden-seats, palings, obelisks, termini's, &c.--pt. III. New designs for Chinese doors, windows, piers, pilasters, garden seats, green-houses, summer-houses, &c.--pt. IV. New designs for Chinese gates, palisades, stair-cases, chimney-pieces, cielings, garden-seats, chairs, temples, &c.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Details.Architecture, Chinese.Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.