Knapp, Lewis M. (Lewis Mansfield), Tobias Smollett , 1949
Tobias Smollett : doctor of men and manners / by Lewis Mansfield Knapp.
- Princeton, New Jersey : Princeton University Press, 1949.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 362 pages : illustrations, portraits, music, facsimiles ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryPR3696 K53 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliography (pages 339-340), bibliographical footnotes and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Authors, Scottish -- Conduct of life -- Biography.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Provenance (BAC,REF)History, 18th Century.Learning and scholarship.Manners and customs.Medicine -- History -- 18th century.Physicians.Physicians.physicians.Smollett, T. (Tobias), 1721-1771 -- Knowledge and learning.Smollett, T. (Tobias), 1721-1771.Smollett, T. (Tobias), 1721-1771.
- Youth and education in Scotland, 1721-1739
- Naval service and marriage, 1739-1743
- Surgery and literary apprenticeship, 1747-1750
- Friendships and ventures in opera and drama, 1747-1750
- Success with Gil Blas and Roderick Random; Publication of The regicide, 1747-1750
- Chelsea and Paris; Peregrine Pickle, 1750-1752
- Book reviewing and medical interests, 1750-1752
- Lawsuits; Count Fathom and Don Quixote, 1752-1755
- The beginning of the Critical review and A complete history of England, 1755-1760
- Minor and miscellaneous writing; Imprisonment; Launcelot Greaves, 1760-1763
- The search for health in France and Italy; The travels, 1763-1766
- Final years in England and Scotland, 1766-1768
- Final years in Italy; The Atom and Humphry Clinker, 1768-1771
- A concluding view of Smollett's personality
- Smollett's contribution to the English novel.