Villas and cottages : a series of designs prepared for execution in the United States / by Calvert Vaux, architect, late Downing & Vaux, Newburgh on the Hudson ; illustrated by 300 engravings.
- New York : Harper & Brothers, Publishers, Franklin Square, 1857.
- Physical Description:
- , xii, , 14-318,  pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7120 .V38 1857Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engraved and illustrated half-title.
Wood engravings by Alexander Anderson, Pinkney, J.W. Orr, and H. Jewitt; after Calvert Vaux, A.J. Downing, F.C. Withers, J.W. Williams, J. McEntee, JWCW and C. Nichols.
Copyright 1857 by Harper & Brothers.
Added illustrated title and frontispiece included in pagination.
Last page blank.
Advertisement "Calvert Vaux, architect"--p. .
The plate is a chromolithograph (by Sarony, Major & Knapp) depicting "Specimens of encaustic tiles. For sale by Miller & Coates, 279 Pearl St. New York."
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original green cloth. Title and half title page vignette stamped in gilt on front cover. Blind-stamped on back cover. Inscription: J. D. Williamson, Jr. Aug. 1859.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Designs and plans.Architecture, Domestic -- United States.Design and ornament -- United States.Williamson, J.D. -- Autograph.
- Wood engravings -- 1857.
Chromolithographs -- 1857.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.