Elementary art, or, The use of the chalk and lead pencil advocated and explained / by J.D. Harding.
- Additional Title(s):
Use of the chalk and lead pencil advocated and explained
- Third edition.
- London : David Bogue, 1846.
- Physical Description:
- iv, 97 p., 24 leaves of plates : ill. ; 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC710 .H37 1846+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC710 .H36 1838+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, stamped in gilt: Harding's elementary art.
Printed by Vizetelly Brothers and Co., London.
"Among the improvements which have been made in the present edition, the following may be enumerated as the most consideable. The instructions, which, in the two former editions were confined to the use of the lead pencil, have in the present been rendered equally applicable to the use of the chalk. This extension seemed to be required in consequence of the more extended employment of the chalk, as an instrument of art, since the appearance of the first edition."--Preface.
BAC: British Art Center NC710 .H36 1838+ copy bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-tooled brown cloth. Ms. inscription on recto of first free endpaper from author to Mr. Alfred Shaw. Cased with: Elementary at, or the use of the lead pencil advocated and explained / by J.D. Harding. New edition (London : C. Tilt, 1838).
BAC: British Art Center NC710 .H37 1846+ copy bound in later brown cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' materials.Bogue, David -- Publisher.Drawing -- Technique.Figure drawing.Harding, James Duffield -- Pres. insc. to Alfred Shaw.Landscape drawing.Line (Art)Pencil drawing -- Technique.Shades and shadows in art.Shaw, Alfred -- Pres. insc. from James Duffield Harding.Vizetelly Brothers and Co. -- Printer.
- Manuals (Handbooks) -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
Lithographs -- 1846.
Wood engravings -- 1846.
YCBA Collections Search
Harding, James Duffield, 1798-1863, Elementary art, or, The use of the chalk and lead pencil advocated and explained , 1846
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.