Topographia Westphaliae : das ist, Beschreibung der vornembsten, vnd bekantisten Stätte, vnd Plätz, im hochlöbl. westphälischen Craisse.
- Additional Title(s):
Beschreibung der vornembsten, vnd bekantisten Stätte, vnd Plätz, im hochlöbl. westphälischen Craisse
- [Frankfurt am Main] : An Tag gegeben, von Matthaeo Merian, 
- Physical Description:
- 94,  p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill. (engravings), maps, plans ; 32 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD917.Z45 T67 1647+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN 2001 +124: Imperfect: Engraved t.p. badly mutilated;  plates wanting. 17th cent. ms. annotations.
Includes Wenceslaus Hollar's etching of Roerort. The views of Emmerich, Herford, and Minden have been incorrectly attributed to Hollar. See: Pennington.
Engraved, historiated title page.
Signatures: A⁶ B-M⁴.
Pages 73-94 captioned: Anhang.
Schuchard, C. Zeiller-Merianschen Topographien, 49A
Pennington, R. Descriptive catalogue of the etched work of Wenceslaus Hollar, 1607-1677, 770
Index: p. - at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in quarter leather and paste paper boards; edges untrimmed. Title label written in ms on spine. Similarly bound with the BAC copies of other titles in the Topographia Germaniae series (D917.Z45 T67+).
Collection of views and maps of the cities and towns of Westphalia. Part of the 21-volume set of townbooks known collectively as the Topographia Germaniae, published between 1642 and 1688. The text was provided by the German geographer, Martin Zeiller. With over 2000 plates, the series was the most extensive publication of its kind. Most of the plates were engraved by Matthäus Merian (1593-1650) and his sons Matthäus (1621-1687) and Caspar (1627-1686).
- Subject Terms:
- Westphalia (Germany) -- Description and travel.Westphalia (Germany) -- History.Westphalia (Germany) -- Maps.
- Annotations (Provenance) -- 17th century.
Maps -- Germany -- Westphalia.
Engravings -- 1647.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.