IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Perry, Matthew Calbraith, 1794-1858, Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan , 1856
Narrative of the expedition of an American squadron to the China Seas and Japan : performed in the years 1852, 1853, and 1854, under the command of Commodore M.C. Perry, United States Navy, by order of the Government of the United States / compiled from the original notes and journals of Commodore Perry and his officers, at his request, and under his supervision, by Francis L. Hawks.
- Additional Title(s):
United States Japan Expedition
- Washington : Beverley Tucker, Senate printer, 1856.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illlustrations, maps, charts ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS809 .P47 1856+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- "Published by order of the Congress of the United States."
At head of title of v. 2, 3: 33d Cong., 2d sess. House of Representatives. Ex doc. no. 79.
"List of charts of the United States Japan Expedition" (15 folded sheets) issued in portfolio, to accompany volume 2.
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 30968
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary red buckram. Lacks portfolio accompanying volume 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Japan -- Description and travel.Japan -- Foreign relations -- United States.United States -- Foreign relations -- Japan.United States Naval Expedition to Japan (1852-1854)
- Lithographs -- 1856.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1856.
Wood engravings -- 1856.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.