An account of the kingdom of Caubul, and its dependencies in Persia, Tartary, and India : comprising a view of the Afghaun nation, and a history of the Dooraunee monarchy / by the Hon. Mountstuart Elphinstone.
- London : Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, 1815.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 675 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : col. ill., maps ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS352 .E47 1815+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS352 .E47 1815+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With aquatint engravings. Some aquatints after Lieut. Robert Melville Grindlay.
Printed by A. Strahan, New-Street-Square, London.
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 269
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 960
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 504
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in half-calf with marbled boards. Bookplate: Clinton. Copy 2 bound in half black morocco and original (?) brown boards. Includes publisher's advertisements ( leaves) tipped in at front.
- Subject Terms:
- Afghanistan -- Description and travel.Afghanistan -- History.Afghanistan -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Clinton -- Bookplate.Clothing and dress -- Afghanistan.Costume -- Afghanistan -- Pictorial works.Kābol (Afghanistan : Province) -- History.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown -- Publisher.Strahan, A. -- Printer.
- Publisher's advertisements.
Aquatints -- 1815.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1815.
- Contents of the plates: The Chaous Baushee in his dress of Office
- Dooraunee shepherds
- A Hindkee in the winter dress of Peshawer
- An Eusofzye
- An Afghaun of Damaun
- Tope of Maunikyaula
- A Dooraunee villager with his arms
- A Dooraunee gentleman
- A Taujik in the summer dress of Caubul
- A Khawtee, Ghiljie in his summer dress
- A Khojeh of Uzbek Tartary
- A man of the Tymunee Eimauk
- A Hazaurch
- The Umla Baushee in his dress of office
- Caubul [map]
- Kingdom of Caubul [map]