IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
O'Reilly, Bernard, Greenland, the adjacent seas, and the North-west Passage to the Pacific Ocean , 1818
Greenland, the adjacent seas, and the North-west Passage to the Pacific Ocean : illustrated in a voyage to Davis's Strait during the summer of 1817 / by Bernard O'Reilly ; with charts and numerous plates, from drawings of the author taken on the spot.
- London : Printed for Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 47, Paternoster-Row, 1818.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 293 p., XVIII,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., maps, ports. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG650 1817 .O74 + OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 633
BEIN 1997 +159: Bookplate: William Arthur, sixth Duke of Portland. Advertising matter on 2 p. at end, not included in pagination.
BEIR Ekb +817: Autograph: J. Baker.
"This work is plagiarized from Prof. Sir C. L. M. von Giesecke's Lectures and from General Vallancey"--Cf. Allibone.
"American editions were published in Philadelphia and New York in 1818"--Cf. Abbey.
"The 'Quarterly Review', in an article immediately following the notorious review of Keats's 'Endymion', called the book 'a bare faced imposition'"--Cf. Abbey.
Allibone, S. A. Critical dictionary of English literature. Detroit : Gale Research Co., 1965, v. 3, p. 1460
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
BAC: Bookplate of John Waldie. Label mounted under bookplate: Topography, Travels, &c., No. 558
Printed by C. Baldwin, New Bridge Street, London.
Illustrations by Frederick Christian Lewis and George Cooke; after S. Koenig.
- Subject Terms:
- Arctic regions -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Baker, J. -- Autograph.Baldwin, C. -- Printer.Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy -- Publisher.Davis Strait -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1818.Greenland -- Description and travel.Northwest Passage -- Discovery and exploration -- British.Portland, William John Arthur Charles James Cavendish-Bentinck, Duke of, 1857-1943 -- Bookplate. (bein)Waldie, John -- Bookplate.
- Travel literature -- Northwest Passage -- 1817.
Aquatints -- 1818.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.