Researches, concerning the institutions & monuments of the ancient inhabitants of America, with descriptions & views of some of the most striking scenes in the Cordilleras! / written in French by Alexander de Humboldt & translated into English by Helen Maria Williams.
- Additional Title(s):
Vues des Cordillères, et monumens des peuples indigènes de l'Amerique. English. Selections
- London : Published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown, J. Murray & H. Colburn, 1814.
London : J.G. Barnard, Skinner Street
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations (some color) ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF1219 .H86 1814Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- English translation by Helen Maria Williams of the author's orignal French: Vues des Cordillères et monumens des peuples indigènes de l'Amérique (Paris, 1810-1813 ; representing partie I, section 2: of Voyage aux régions équinoxiales du Nouveau Continent fait en 1799-1804 by Alexander von Humboldt).
Pagination: Vol. 1: iv, 411,  pages, 9 [i.e. 8] leaves of plates. -- Vol. 2: , 324 pages, 10-20 leaves of plates.
The title-leaves are etched and engraved. The remaining plates are numbered 1-20, with 1 and 2 being two numbered vignettes on the same plate. The vignettes on the title-plates are additionally numbered as plates 10 and 6 respectively.
Plates (20, on 19 leaves) numbered: Pl. 1. [-20.]. Plates 1 and 2 printed on one leaf. Text describes the 69 plates of the original French edition, giving their numbers as: Plates I. and II. [-Plate LXIX.]. The plate numbers assigned to the two vignettes on the title pages refer to the numeration of the plates in the French edition; however, Plate "6" on the title page of v. 2 is an error for Plate "8" (text in v. 1: p. 105 is marked correctly as: Plate VIII.). Consequently, the present work contains 22 of the original 69 illustrations. Many plates have the imprint: Pub[lishe]d by Longman, Hurst, Reed, Orme & Brown, August [or: Aug.t] 1814.
The direction-lines and indexes (v. 2, p. -324) refer to the volumes as "volumes XIII and XIV", and the plates also refer to volumes XIII and XIV, because these two volumes form part of a series of translations of Humboldt's works issued by Longman and Company.
Volume 2: page 233 misnumbered 333; v. 2: page 310 misnumbered 103.
Printer's statement from foot of page 411, vol. 1.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Sir Joseph Verdin, Bart.
- Subject Terms:
- Andes.Indians -- Antiquities.Mexico -- Antiquities.Mountains -- Mexico.Mountains -- Peru.Murray, J. -- Publisher.Peru -- Antiquities.Verdin, Joseph, Sir -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- 1814.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1814.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Humboldt, Alexander von, 1769-1859, Researches, concerning the institutions & monuments of the ancient inhabitants of America, with descriptions & views of some of the most striking scenes in the Cordilleras! , 1814
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.