The gentleman's recreation : in four parts, viz. hunting, hawking, fowling, fishing. Wherein these generous exercises are largely treated of, and the terms of art for hunting and hawking more amply enlarged than heretofore. Whereto is prefixt a large sculpture, giving easie directions for blowing the horn, and other sculptures inserted proper to each recreation. With an abstract at the end of each subject of such laws as relate to the same.
- The third edition, with the addition of a hunting-horse.
- London : printed by Freeman Collins, for Nicholas Cox, 1686.
- Physical Description:
- , 158, , 187, , 78; , 98 p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 19 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK25 .C69 1686Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Dedication signed: Nicholas Cox.
With an additional title page (plate), engraved and signed: W: Sherwin sc:
The words "hunting, hawking," are gathered by a right brace, and "fowling, fishing." are gathered by a left brace on title page.
Signatures: A⁴ B-L⁸ M⁴ a-m⁸ G-L⁸ A-F⁸ G².
The large folded plate with title "Antient hunting notes" (apparently also sold separately) is signed "W. Dolle: sc" and has advertisement at foot "Theis noats are taught & sould by Michaell Marsh at ye Huntsman at Holborne Bridge"
The plates illustrating the sections on hunting, hawking, fowling, and fishing are all signed by William Dolle.
Leaf m8 is blank.
Table of contents (M⁴) bound as printed following part 1.
The four parts by Cox each have separate undated title page and pagination; register is mixed. The imprints on the separate title pages for hunting, hawking, and fowling give printers' initials as J.C. and F.C.
Includes "The hunter" by Gerard Langbaine, with imprint "Oxford, printed by L. Lichfield, printer to the University, for Nicholas Cox. 1685", a reissue of Wing L374.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed. 1994), C6704
English short title catalogue, R021517
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 34
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind- and gilt-stamped Cambridge style calf; text block edges sprinkled red and brown; partially rebacked. Has quire M misbound between quires ²L and ²A and has added engraved t.p. misbound as frontispiece. Armorial bookplate of the Earl of Breadlabane with motto "Follow me" on inside of upper board. Inscribed: Empt London: 0 - 5 6.
- Subject Terms:
- Breadalbane, John Campbell, Earl of, 1635-1716 -- BookplateCollins, Freeman -- Printer.Cox, Nicholas, fl. 1673-1721 -- Publisher.Falconry -- Early works to 1800.Fishing -- Early works to 1800.Forestry law and legislation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Fowling -- Early works to 1800.Horsemanship.Hunting -- Early works to 1800.J. C., fl. 1686 -- Printer.Lichfield, Leonard, -1686 -- Printer.
- Engravings -- 1686.
Woodcuts -- 1686.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.