A compendium of the East : being an account of voyages to the Grand Indies / made by the Sieur Jean de Lacombe, of Quercy, formerly Captain at Arms in the service of the Company of the Indies of Holland ; now published for the first time (from the Bordeaux manuscript of 1681) in an English translation by Stephanie & Denis Clark ; edited, with an introduction and notes, by Ashley Gibson ; contemporary engravings of the principal places visited reproduced from Schultzen's Ost-indische reyse (Amsterdam, 1676).
- London : Printed and published in Great Britain by The Golden Cockerel Press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- , 5-208,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, facsimile, maps ; 33 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS411.1 .L33 1937+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Maps on lining-papers.
Some plates printed on double leaves.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Printed and published by Christopher & Anthony Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press of 10 Staple Inn, London, and completed the 20th day of November, 1937. The maps are from a contemporary Mercator atlas. The edition is limited to 300 copies printed in Perpetua type on Arnold's hand-made paper."--Colophon
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 130
Bibliography: p. 186-198.
SML,AOB: "Number 154."
BAC: British Art Center copy is no 14 of 300. Bound in black quarter cloth with batik cloth boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Discoveries in geography.East Asia -- Description and travel.East Indies -- Description and travel.Indonesia -- Description and travel.Indonesia -- Discoverly and exploration.Private press books -- London -- England -- Specimens.Voyages and travels.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1937.
YCBA Collections Search
Lacombe, Jean de, sieur de Querc̦y, active 1676, A compendium of the East , 1937
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.