IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Lacombe, Jean de, sieur de Querc̦y, active 1676, A compendium of the East , 1937
A compendium of the East : being an account of voyages to the Grand Indies / made by the Sieur Jean de Lacombe, of Quercy, formerly Captain at Arms in the service of the Company of the Indies of Holland ; now published for the first time (from the Bordeaux manuscript of 1681) in an English translation by Stephanie & Denis Clark ; edited, with an introduction and notes, by Ashley Gibson ; contemporary engravings of the principal places visited reproduced from Schultzen's Ost-indische reyse (Amsterdam, 1676).
- London : Printed and published in Great Britain by The Golden Cockerel Press, 1937.
- Physical Description:
- , 5-208,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations, facsimile, maps ; 33 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS411.1 .L33 1937+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Maps on lining-papers.
Some plates printed on double leaves.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Printed and published by Christopher & Anthony Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press of 10 Staple Inn, London, and completed the 20th day of November, 1937. The maps are from a contemporary Mercator atlas. The edition is limited to 300 copies printed in Perpetua type on Arnold's hand-made paper."--Colophon
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 130
Bibliography: p. 186-198.
SML,AOB: "Number 154."
BAC: British Art Center copy is no 14 of 300. Bound in black quarter cloth with batik cloth boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Discoveries in geography.East Asia -- Description and travel.East Indies -- Description and travel.Indonesia -- Description and travel.Indonesia -- Discoverly and exploration.Private press books -- London -- England -- Specimens.Voyages and travels.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1937.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.