Lucretia Borgia : the chronicle of Tebaldeo Tebaldei : Renaissance period / by Algernon Charles Swinburne ; commentary and notes by Randolph Hughes ; engravings by Reynolds Stone.
- London : Printed and published for the first time, by The Golden Cocerkel Press, 1942.
- Physical Description:
- , 7-191, , 16-17,  pages : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDG797.83 .S95 1942+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Printed by Christopher Sandford and Owen Rutter at the Golden Cockerel Press, Rolls Passage, London, E.C. 4, in Poliphilus type-an Aldine fount of the period which the Chronicle portrays--on specially water-marked Golden Cockerel paper made by Arnold & Foster. Preparation of the edition was begun in January 1940 and finished in October, 1942. 350 copies have been printed and the type has been distributed. Nos. 1-30 are full-bound in white morocco, and include a facsimile reproduction of the manuscript of one chapter of the text. Nos. 31-350 are bound in canvas."--Colophon.
"Lucretia Borgia, now issued for the first time, is together with Lesbia Brandon ... the most important of the large mass of Swinburne's unpublished writings ... The title Lucretia Borgia is not Swinburne's own; he called the work The chronicle of Tebaldeo Tebaldei."--Foreword.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 152
SML,AOB: Copy "No. 243."
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 27 of 350, one of 30 specially bound by Sangorski & Sutcliffe in white morocco; in cloth slip case. Includes a facsimile reproduction of the manuscript of one chapter of the text,  pages at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Borgia, Lucrezia, 1480-1519.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1942.
Photomechanical prints -- 1942.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.