Pyne, W. H. (William Henry), 1769-1843, The costume of Great Britain , 1808
The costume of Great Britain / designed, engraved, and written by W.H. Pyne.
- London : Published by William Miller, Albemarle-Street, 1808.
- Physical Description:
- , iii,  pages, 60 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT737 .P96 1808+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Originally issued in 1804.
"There are three editions or issues of this book: first with title dated 1804, but on paper watermarked prior to that year. Second, with a title dated 1808; and thirdly, in the above state, with an 1804 title, but recognizable by the later watermark. The edition of 1808 usually has plain backgrounds; both impressions of the 1804 are more desirable in having coloured backgrounds."--Abbey.
With an engraved vignette on title page.
Colas, R. Bibliographie générale du costume et de la mode, 2448
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 728
Kunstbibliothek (Berlin, Germany). Katalog der Lipperheideschen Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl.), Gca18
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, p. 357
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary gilt-tooled green morocco. Gilt edges. Plate 32 bound in correct order.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain.Costume -- Great Britain.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1808.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.