The Golden Cockerel Greek anthology : a selection of the poems / edited, with translations into English verse and an introduction, by F.L. Lucas, Fellow of King's College, Cambridge ; line engravings on zinc by Lettice Sandford.
- Additional Title(s):
Greek anthology. English & Greek. Selections.
- [London] : [The Golden Cockerel Press], 1937.
- Physical Description:
- 81,  pages : illustrations ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA3623.A5 L83 1937+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "To The Golden Cockerel Greek Anthology, a poet, an artist, and three printers have dedicated the best of their human endeavour. Chief among their helpers have been A.H. Gibbs, compositor, assisted by W.F. North, and H. Barker, pressman. First conceived at Christmas 1935, and finally delivered at Michaelmas 1937, the edition has been limited to 206 copies. Numbers 1-6, with twenty illustrations, have been printed on lamb-vellum; numbers 7-80, also with twenty illustrations, on F.J. Head's hand-made paper, specially watermarked with the head of a Greek maiden; numbers 81-206, with fourteen illustrations, on the same paper. The types are 18-point New Hellenic Greek and Perpetua Roman, set by hand."--Colophon.
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 129
SML,AOB: No. 113.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 73 of 206, with 20 illustrations. Bound in publisher's original black half pigskin and gilt-stamped red cloth; bound by Zaehnsdorf.
- Subject Terms:
- Anthologies.Greek poetry -- Translations into English.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Engravings -- 1937.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.